Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Talking to the Sea

Ocean wash over me.
Tear my flesh with your whips of sand.
Yank my neck back in your icy current until the thickness of my hair is strewn ragged across the beach. 
Pierce me with your teeth and mistake me for decay.
As long as I can feel it.

Waves, pummel my chest. 
Take every ounce of precious air. 
Clutch my throat until its bruised and bloody.
Shut out my voice like you've shut out the light.
As long as I can feel it.

Twist my legs around themselves until I cannot stand. 
Break my arms and burn my eyes.
Bruise every bruise and deepen every wound. 
Puncture my heart.
Carry my blood away on the backs of your seagulls.
As long as I can feel it. 

A pain too numb to feel is worse than all of these.
So let me feel it. 

Let me feel the blood pour out of my body.
Let me feel my fingers stiffen.
Let me feel hairs tangle and pull from my scalp.
Let me scream from the misery of it all.
Just let me.
Give me the choice.

Let me feel the making of scars.
Because scars heal.
But not the sickness of the soul.

When I can feel your grit--
When I can experience the rot--
At least then I know 
Hope is still alive.

"There is no language for this kind of loss." 
- Christine Baker Kline 




7 comments:

  1. Ahhh this is so beautiful. I love the imagery -- it really comes alive in my head. :D

    katie grace
    a writer's faith

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so lovely and touching. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what a poem. That is powerful.

    Also, I believe this is the first time I've visited your blog, Stephanie, and you have a lovely space. I really like the header illustration. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jessica!

      The header is actually brand new! A friend of mine made it for me for Christmas and she is SO incredible.

      Delete
  4. This is absolutely gorgeous, Stephanie! Thanks for sharing. ❤️❤️ You have a gift!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...