Sunday, March 5, 2017

We Gave Up Our Land // My Army Would Not Come


We Gave Up Our Land
2.20.17.
It came like a plague in the sky. On a June day with perfectly shaped clouds, one rose up from the back of the dawn. A swarm of black grasshoppers overcame the clouds. They entered through the cabin windows and burst out the doors. They came to block out the light and destroy all our fruit. They came to steal all our dreams. To demolish in one day what we had built in a lifetime. They made us like Egypt and we didn't fight. 
We gave up.
We gave up our land --
So they took our hearts, too. 




My Army Would Not Come
3.5.17.
One word, one paragraph at a time they squeeze themselves from my pencil. The motor of my brain revs on high speeds, but the words falling out of my mouth set the pace of a dripping faucet. 
Each piece takes days and weeks of concentration to create. Is this the rest of my life?
It didn't used to be like this.
No matter how hard I push on the lead, my army would not come.
The spirit is willing but the body is weak.
The alphabet is full but the lines are blank. 
But then one came and I spoke to the sea. 
Even the wind and the waves obey Him.
And it was like I'd been handed the moon.
The Lord Gives and He takes away.
They come and go with the tide...
and with the pulling of hair, the hollow of the mind, the command of an army. 
My pen stops-
then it flows again.
I rejoice just in time 
for my heart to shrivel up again and die
Writing is my heart. 
Blessed be the name of the Lord. 

2 comments:

  1. You say so much with so few words. I relate to the second piece.. sometimes it seems like the words are stacking up in my brain, but when I pick up a pen I've got nothing. But you brought it back to the right place. God's there, and He has His plans, and sometimes we just can't see them yet. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words, Jessica! You made my day. I am so glad we are getting to know each other a bit through blogging - it seems like we have a lot in common!

      I usually feel the most without words when I am the most overwhelmed. But that's usually the time when I most need to get them out. :) I have really enjoyed reading your last few blog posts and would never know you're struggling to find words. They've been beautiful!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...