Friday, August 14, 2015

A Word from Collin


This is Collin Church. Yes that is my actual name. I am a fourteen year old, homeschooled “Christian”. If you are not reading this on twenty minutes of sleep you should have noticed the Quotation marks.
That leads us to the topic: what is a Christian? A person who believes that Jesus died for their sins? A person who confesses their sins to God? A person who does both of those things plus changes their attitude?
I believe that we should be more cautious with that word considering the root word is Christ. The Bible says that no one can be plucked out of the Father’s hands, meaning that you cannot lose your salvation. Nowhere in the Bible does God say that you can’t lose your Christianity.
A Christian is one who follows Christ. Not in my opinion, one who is, for lack of a better term, saved. Meaning, salvation is a gift, which will never cease; while Christianity is a trait which can be achieved, lost, and regained.
If I pray to God for forgiveness and begin my walk with Christ I gain both my salvation and my Christianity, but if I stray away from God I, at least temporarily, lose my Christianity, because at that time I am no longer following Christ. If then I confess and turn away from my sins I am therefore following Christ i.e. a Christ follower a.k.a. a Christian.
Just like a liar can stop lying and earn himself a good reputation, a saved sinner can correct his mistakes and earn his Christianity.
Romans 10:9-10 (NKJV), “that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.”
Notice it doesn’t say you shall be a Christian. The word Christian is only in the NKJV Bible twice, that I know of. Once in 1 Peter 4:16, “Yet if anyone suffers as a Christian, let him not be ashamed, but let him glorify God in this matter.” And in Acts 11:26 which is the first time the disciples were referred to as Christians. But back to 1 Peter 4:16. It says not to be ashamed for suffering as a Christian, and why would you be ashamed if you are walking with Christ? Also that verse could be taken to mean, if you are walking with Christ you can be confident that with the hardships you are facing are earning crowns for heaven and not being punished for some wrongdoing.
So does the difference between salvation and Christianity make a huge difference in your day to day life? Maybe not, but I think that we should be more careful about how we use the name of Christ. As to my earlier statement that I was a Christian, am I really? I hope so.

Thanks to Isaac for letting me use his computer and Stephanie for letting me use her blog.
SHARE:

1 comment

MINIMAL BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig