Sunday, January 18, 2015

Free.

Screaming.

Choked, condemned, haunted.

The bonds cast into the fire--the fingers of bitterness quickly snaking around my throat to take their place. I snatch at them -- get away from me! -- but they only wrap tighter.

My soul, why are you downcast?
My spirit, why are you saddened?
The LORD is here.

He sits with me in my dungeon, he smooths my hair when I scream. He reminds me of His love for me. Patiently, He watches -- as blood and turmoil fly. Patiently, He sits with me.

My LORD is strong and mighty. I know He can break the chains.

But He shows me the map of His plans. He teaches me to understand.

For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.

When I fail Him, He wraps His arms around me. When I'm trapped in my dungeon, He stands with me. When I disobey, He brings life and comfort to my soul.

'Cause love is an unconditional thing.

Trapped, He loved me. Not for my performance, but because I am His daughter. When I sinned, He loved me. I am His child.

Screaming.

Screaming for Jesus.


"Do not fear, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name; you are Mine! When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; And though the rivers, they will not overflow you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be scorched, nor will the flame burn you. For I am the LORD your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior." 
- Isaiah 43:1b-3







4 comments:

  1. I like how this is somewhere in between a narrative and a personal reflection. Very good insight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Heather! You always have such sweet things to say. Very encouraging!

      Delete
  2. Wow! Thanks for this Stephanie! I needed this today! :) I love the verse at the end, it's probably my favorite verse right now! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine too, Maggie! I was just going (and recording, actually!) some old writing, and noticed that I'd used this same verse for three separate posts! Whoops. But it is lovely, isn't it? Love you too!!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...