Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Greased Pigs and Fair Grounds


I have an infatuation with country fairs. I think it's a writer thing. 
You couldn't pay me to get on a roller coaster or hop in any of those whizzy ride things...but I love to explore, watch people having fun, listen to the different noises, and see the colors and calligraphy painted on rides, shops, and fair stands. 






My sister and I drove past a fair on the way to meet up with our parents at a nearby campsite. We stopped to take a peek, and I asked if we could come back when it opened... so I could collect writing research.
One of my greatest reasons for returning was to see their greased pig contest. Just imagine the historical fiction fair scenes you could write after witnessing such an event!



And why, yes! My sister was kind enough to let us return to see it! It was quite the experience.


They had to tape his mouth shut, because he had a real urge to bite the kids. Poor thing. If I were in his position, I'd probably bite, too! 


And why yes, that is my brother you see there! I begged him to participate, and he said he would! My sister also signed up, but she ended up being the only girl in her age group. She won by default, and they actually gave her a prize!


That was my weekend adventure! I can't wait to use it in my writing one day! What adventures did you seek last weekend? 

6 comments:

  1. That looks like a lot of fun! I have never been to a fair before, but I am fascinated by them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love fairs! That is such a fun way to learn and see new things. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I generally don't seek adventures. They find me :) -- Uncle B.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's definitely a good way to put it!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...