Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Behind the Scenes: What Allegory Outlining Looks Like

Did C.S. Lewis and Hannah Hurnard stay up until 1:00am for days on end while plotting their allegories? Something tells me they had it easier...but I'm basing that off of their genius finished products. The writing of C.S. Lewis just flows. You'd never think for a moment he struggled over those words.

Especially at 1:00am. C.S. Lewis didn't stay up at ungodly hours, I'm sure. 

But I have been. And I took pictures of my work for you last night! Journey through Kedar's Tower with me, why don'tcha? :)


Notebook, binder, copies of the book of Song of Solomon (so I don't have to scribble all over my Bible anymore than I already have), Bible, highlighter, and computer. This is the story of an outline, peeps. 


I was so tired...that I took random pictures of the ceiling.


This is my map. 


Names and Kingdom breaks. I love this notebook, by the way. It's so much fun.


This little guy surprised me. This is for those of you who don't believe me when I say I kill spiders in my bedroom daily. It happens when you live in the basement. 


More city breaks, numbered in the order they fit and appear.


You'll see here... that my outline is actually only for the second half of my book. The first half is already written. The second half is far trickier, requiring more work.


Another map...



This outline is a full four pages, currently. but I'm not done with it. I'm procrastinating with a blog post. :)


Copied pages of Song of Solomon with outlines, sections, and scene markings.


This is everything from outlines, synopsis's, drawings, and maps, to names, characteristics, fantasy characters, and Bible notes. My goal is to read through it all again today, since it's been a few months.



Here it is. This is what a novel looks like before it's written. 

...and what do I look like before a novel is written? You don't get a picture of that. 


Oh how I love your law! It is my meditation all the day. Your commandment makes me wiser than my enemies, for it is ever with me. I have more understanding than all my teachers, for your testimonies are my meditation. I understand more than the aged, for I keep your precepts. I hold back my feet from every evil way, in order to keep your word. I do not turn aside from your rules for you have taught me. How sweet are your words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth! Through your precepts I get understanding; therefore I hate every false way. 
~ Psalm 119:97-104




SHARE:

7 comments

  1. Ha, the spider got me. Fortunately for me, spider season is over and that part of my basement life is better. Now it's just a thing with the mice.

    Out of curiosity, what kinds of pens are you using in the pink, blue, and purple on the quad pad? I like writing in colors but then when the bleeding through the paper happens it doesn't work out so well for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eeehh... isn't the spider nasty? He died soon after his photo appearance. It's been a while since we've seen mice, though, so that *is* a plus.

      Sure! My sister introduced me to them, and they're so awesome. The pens are expensive, but they last forever and a day! Here's a link. You can get them at wal-mart or pretty much any pen-selling store.

      http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/824832/Pilot-G-2-Retractable-Gel-Pens/;jsessionid=00002Za7FUc8GLqBeJ3nXI6KfY3:17h4h7bfo

      Delete
  2. Bleh. So small, and yet I hate them so much.

    Ooh! I'm definitely going to look out for them. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Biblical scholars have studies both Latin and Greek -- just for starters, -- so that they can read the original sources. How's your Latin? Emulate the greats, and start from there.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, yeah, my Latin is pretty non-existent. :) I do look at stuff that digs deeper into the original words and meanings, though. About as far as you can get with English.

      Delete
  4. Spider was coming to say goodnight. "Goodnight, Steh....SQUASH!!" Poor spider.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

MINIMAL BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig