Sunday, January 19, 2014

Showcase: Jillian Haggard: Devotional

I haven't had the honor of talking a huge amount with Jillian, but I can already tell she's a dear. Her love for typewriters and books is prevalent on her blog, and totally boosts her coolness factor in my books. Not only that, but don't you think her name is adorable? I'm super excited to introduce this lovely young lady and her writing to you all today. Thanks so much for being with us, Jillian!

~

I stood at the ballet barre in the middle of two other dancers, excited to start my weekly ballet class. Extending my leg out in front of me, I gently stretched my hamstrings to warm up. I acknowledge ballet isn't one of my strengths, but I still look forward to dancing every week. That day I wanted to dance my best; I wanted the teacher to compliment me. I mean, no matter what activity you're involved in, don't you want to feel like you're good enough at it?

Classical music floated from the stereo in the corner, signaling the start of class. I grinned in anticipation. But once we started the first combination, the feeling of "I can do this well!" quickly faded. My teacher made a beeline over to me during the pliés. "Jillian, you're not turning out enough. Oh, and make sure not to sink into grande plié. Watch how Sarah does it."

She motioned to the girl in front of me, and I felt my stomach tighten. Of course. Why had I thought I could possibly be good enough? Better than the other, more experienced dancers?

I gritted my teeth and continued to dance, trying my best to apply the corrections. But as much as I tried, I couldn't shake the nagging thoughts out of my mind. You're not good enough. You don't deserve to be here.

I stared at Sarah in front of me, dancing effortlessly and gracefully. The teacher never had to give her any corrections. I shook my head in disbelief and frustration.

That moment has continually resurfaced in my head over the past few weeks. I think we all feel like this at some point in our lives. That we're a failure and not good at anything. That everyone's focusing on our imperfections rather than our strengths.

Psalm 139:14 says, "I will praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; marvelous are Your works, and my soul knows very well." God created each of us in a unique and wonderful way. He cares for us deeply, even though we have imperfections and weaknesses. He doesn't want us to be perfect; He wants us to be the best Christian we can be.

My challenge to you today: don't listen to those voices inside your head. Why? Because God made you with your strengths, weaknesses, and everything in between. There's beauty in imperfections. And most of all, He loves you just the way you are.

Next time I go to ballet class I'm probably going to feel the same. I'm not going to be a miraculously better dancer and I'll likely still feel jealous of the other dancers' abilities. However, now I hope to focus on the strengths that God gave me when he created me…and maybe you can too. :)



Jillian Haggard is a teenage girl, dreamer, and adventure-seeker. She dabbles in a variety of genres, but especially loves writing historical fiction and suspense. When she's not writing, Jillian is often reading, dancing, or singing. She adores dark chocolate, typewriters, tea, and God's beautiful world. Jillian blogs about books, writing, and life over at Covers and Ink.




Remember to leave this lovely lady some love in the comments section, and be sure to check out her blog!

3 comments:

  1. I know what that feels like. I struggle with it a lot. Just a few days ago God spoke the same thing to me. It's so wonderful and comforting to know that God made every person amazing in their own way. I love your writing style and I enjoyed reading this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I completely agree. I think we all feel like this at times, but it's truly wonderful how God cares about us and wants us to live the way He made us. Isn't He marvelous? :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...