Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Me: Notes from Behind the Face of Writing

To a lot of you, I'm the girl you know over the screen. I write my thoughts. You read my thoughts. You see a girl who loves to read, encourage, and talk about God's Word. But blogging is a funny thing. You know me only by what I put up here, and sometimes that can be a pretty shallow relationship. See, there has to be a theme to a blog. If I didn't have a theme, you wouldn't be here. If you're here, you're probably interested in one of my themes--writing, reading, and thoughts on the Bible. 
Don't get me wrong, I love those themes. I want to stick with those themes (what else would I talk about?) but I also want you to know me on another level. I'd like you to know me as a more rounded individual. Why? Because I want to be real to you. Someone to relate to. A friend. 
Bloggers are real people, too. We have thoughts, feelings, hurts, flaws, joys, and we like to laugh. I want you to see all of that--not just a plastic web-version of me.

This is me, today:

I pulled out a box of letter and trinkets, for inspiration. I have piles of ideas for blog articles and writings and things, but I really don't feel good, and my inspiration is dwindling today. I feel dry, and putting my thoughts together in an article about "why I don't write about purity anymore" takes too much brain power for this night. So, I thought I'd show you some of the things in my box--and maybe some songs, and things about me.


A little girl gave me this probably two years ago, when we were church hopping. I only met her once. Her name was Noa, and she was nine years old wearing gobs of make-up. I remember thinking about how sad that was, and wanting to help her. I reached out, and she gave me this.


Kay is one of my dearest friends. Goodness, I could talk about how much I love her for a long time. This is a flyer from a "write a soldier" campaign she and I worked on.


I love hymns. I don't know them all, but sometimes I like to read through hymnals. There's a great deal of spiritual strength and pilgrimage that can be gleamed from them. 

- Fact - When I have kids, I want to name one of my daughters, "Judah."
- Fact - I used to play softball, and at 5'4, I can throw a 55mph fastball.


Notes from a talk by Andrew Pudewa. He wasn't talking about writing. I actually hated his writing tapes as a kid. To be perfectly blunt, I hated writing as a whole when I was a kid. <-- Ah! Blasphemy! 


A note from Miss Debbie of Aletheia Springs. I got to spend a week with her and her sister, Miss Rebecca. I have probably never been so encouraged in all my life, and I cried when they left. 

Be Thou My Vision by David Nevue on Grooveshark

- Fact - It's currently 12:01am. I'm a dedicated blogger.
- Fact - I'm so not put together....my computer is freezing downstairs, so I came upstairs. My dog is running around the room (she thinks it's play time) and I left all the rest of my pictures downstairs. *thwack* didn't think about that.
-Fact- I never know what to say on Twitter.

So I spent my day thinking, mostly. I think a lot. Besides thinking, I cleaned my room, did some chores, spent hours working on a blog post that wouldn't write itself, slept a few hours, and played a Nancy Drew game with my dear friend, Anna. Yes, I know...immaturity--whatever. We used to play those as kids a lot, and so sometimes we go back for fun. I get a lot of writing inspiration from the early years I spent in Nancy Drew. 

I had banana bread, which had chocolate chips in it. Chocolate chips have vanilla extract. Vanilla extract makes me really sick when I'm on Flagyl (a tough Lyme Disease drug). So that's why I don't feel good.

I like quiet things--anything quiet. Letters, poetry, open windows, books to drown in--that's my comfort zone. 

I sigh a lot. I'm tired a lot. I try to make people laugh a lot. 

I'm left-handed. But if I'm using a pencil, I can write with both hands. 

It's 12:32am. I took half an hour to write that. I take forever to write anything. The spiritual devotional notes you see up here? Sometimes they take me a day. 

Most of the time, I stay at home. I get out to sing, though, and for Bible study, which is fabulous. My study group leader is ah-mazing. He doesn't read this blog (I don't think...), so I can brag on him. He teaches the Bible--not books, not ideas, not thoughts--he teaches the solid Bible, chapter by chapter, verse by verse. 

I spend way too much time listening to Broadway music and opera. Music is my biggest distraction. I also harmonize with VeggieTales. 

I'm a pretty quiet girl. 

I cannot stand to be in disagreement with someone, and I can usually stay mad a grand total of 30 minutes before having to talk to the individual, or it kills me. I think it's a gift. But every gift can be flopped. I try to stay mad longer if it's righteous anger. 

I'm not good at smiling for pictures.

If God wills, I'd like to intern as a missionary for a few months. Though, I have no connections and wouldn't know where to start.

Writing my current mission field. 

I started this blog over a year ago as a marketing thing. It was scary, because I didn't know whether I'd ever actually be an author and have a use for it. I mean, getting up a following and then landing flat on your face with the publishing companies? Doesn't sound very agreeable to me. But now I look at it differently. I have a lot of profound thoughts that I want the world to know. God's given me a voice and things to say. I'm supposed to obey Him and say them. It's all about obedience. But I don't want to just say things. I want to be a friend, and I want to live those things out. 

God is very good to me.

Really? I'm just getting to know myself.

~

Some very jumbled thoughts, my dear readers. I hope you learned a little more about me, and got to know me a more like a friend, not a plastic web-version girl. So, what about you? There are a lot of fun things we could do with this. You could link to this post, and write your own article about who you are and where you're going. You can leave a comment telling me one or two things about yourself...or, you can e-mail me to tell me what similarities we have. If I could, I'd get to know each and every one of you, so don't be shy.

One last thing. I want to know if there's any way I can pray for you. If you do nothing else, comment/e-mail me a prayer request. You can be specific, detailed, and in-depth, or you can tell me something surface and give me your middle name as your identity. While I might not know you at all, you're a reader of my thoughts--my "ministry." I pray for you already in general. I'd like to be able to pray for specifics, too. :)

My love in Christ,

Stephanie
SHARE:

8 comments

  1. It was definitely cool to get to enter your head for a little while. :) I liked the brain flow going. And in the end, I have to agree with your theme. I'm still getting to know myself too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you thought so, Heroine, even if it was the late-night version of my head. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I wrote a nice long comment, but then the power cut out. :( I wanna cry lol!

    Anyway, I just wanted to say I enjoyed reading this blog post. It's nice to get to know the real you. It was like being able to sit with you for a little while. That was very special to me.

    Sometimes I feel like I need a blog. For either my thoughts or my small business. But I have self confidence issues (could use prayer for that) and haven't been able to bring myself to start one.

    Lol, I'm sitting here thinking "What to say, what to say..." I'm like you on that one. I take forever to write something. I evaluate, re-evaluate, triple evaluate, and then erase and start all over haha! Now I'm just babbling....

    Ok, I'm gonna scoot. Thanks for sharing, Stephanie!
    Celeste

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed it, Celeste! I'm thinking about doing it more often...

      Delete
  4. One: I liked this post.
    Two: Nacy Drew is the best.
    Three: I forgot what my third point was. Must be lyme.
    Four: Veggie Tales is awesome.
    Five: I still can't remember what my third point was going to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This made me really happy. You are the best.

      BAH. Gotta be that Lyme. Go get yourself checked out. xP hehe.

      Delete
  5. That was very enjoyable to read. Some days I just feel like sitting down and writing about what I see and hear. Sometimes those are the best days.
    I like Nancy Drew a lot! Have a bag my aunt sewed for me with the mystery books on it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad, Rosalie! I didn't know you liked Nancy Drew. Next time you come by, remind me to show you my books. :)

      Delete

MINIMAL BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig