Sunday, December 29, 2013

On a Biblical New Year

Two days left of 2013, and I'm already seeing notes, recaps, goals, and resolutions for the new year pop up everywhere. Usually I don't post about holidays (have you noticed?) but to be honest, the New Year hype particularly bothers me.

It's just not Biblical.

No, I understand wanting to keep a record of days and history--that totally makes sense. God has gifted us with incredible with brains and imaginations that have the insane ability to calculate times, periods, dates, and calendars. Without calendars, we'd be pretty lost.

I just don't understand why Believers get themselves entangled in all this sentimentality.

Guys, Paul tells us not to observe dates. In fact, he fears for the people of Galatia who get themselves all wrapped up in this sentimental stuff. He says, "You observe days and months and seasons and years. I fear for you, that perhaps I have labored over you in vain." - Galatians 4: 10-11 [NASB]

Mmm...So why does Paul think this is so important?

...Because dates, seasons, and years, promote our flesh.

Here's how:

1) Our fleshly instinct is to pour energy into sentimentality. I do it. Everybody does it. Parents wish they could go back to their teens, Grandparents want to back to their prime. We all talk about the good ole' days. We pour all our energy into our long ago dreams, memories, and sentiments, and none of our energy into the present. God gives us the gift of the present, and He wants us to use it all for what He's called us to today. Not only that, but Christ has set us free from dates and seasons! He's given us eternal life - dates mean nothing to us, because we live forever! Christ tells us to walk by the Spirit of God. Observing dates and years and sentiments is a fleshly practice.

2) We think that somehow, the New Year will bring new hope. Maybe it will, if you become a Believer. But putting our hope in a holiday is all flesh. We're supposed to put our hope in Jesus Christ alone--not in a new year or a new day. We're supposed to walk with Him to the fullest every single day. If we can dig deep and find the spirit to begin living a "fuller life" after the new year, we're not living faith out in our every day life. His mercies are new every morning! We should be living for Him to the fullest every single day. So much so that new dates won't matter to us, because we're already following His will in every aspect.

3) Resolutions promote self-made righteousness and a fleshly "I can do this alone" instinct. I mean, do we really need something else promoting self-made righteousness and perfection? I sure don't. Our eyes should be on Christ--walking in His spirit, not ours. When we make and promote our own goals, we begin walking in our spirit of flesh. Ultimately, we'll be disappointed, worn out, and will have wasted time. We can't do anything without Christ.

Gosh, there are so many ways we promote the flesh these days without even recognizing it. I pray the Lord will reveal each and every one of them to us day by day.

Thoughts?

9 comments:

  1. My father has always held the same beliefs, but I've never thought to ask him about why. Suddenly I look forward to seeing how alike your ideas are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment, Heroine! :)
      That's so cool! You should definitely ask him why--I'd love to know his thoughts!

      Delete
  2. I never thought about that before! However, I think it's a good thing to observe holy days, like Christmas, because they remind us of Christ becoming man for us, etc. Of course, we should remember this everyday, but I think it's a great idea to celebrate this wonderful day.

    I don't make resolutions because I feel God might not will that I do certain things. So I give myself ambitions but I don't feel guilty if I don't achieve them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is an interesting concept, isn't it, Tara? Yes, it is good to observe holy days sometimes. Just look at all the feasts the Israelites were told to observe!
      I do even celebrate New Years, like if I'm invited to a party, dance, or someone wants to come over for the occasion. I just make a point to be aware of the places flesh and sentimentality want to sneak in. Thanks for your comment!

      Delete
  3. Each day is a new day. We don't have to wait till a new year to may a change in our lives. My thought is May Gods will be done. On that topic I feel & this is just an observation I have noticed, rightly or wrongly. That when someone has cancer there is almost an expectation that they will be healed but what happens if God can see another picture that is better for the Kingdom. But my thought is may Gods will be done. Don't get me wrong I think we can ask for healing & if it is Gods will then he will do it. We do live in a fallen world after all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a very good thought.
    After the holidays, there's an emptiness, and I always think it can be filled with my goals and tangible things. But everyday, we just need to do what God is calling us to do and not fret about how much Christmas lifted us up and now it seems there's an empty space. all we have to do is what He wants us to do and that's it. Everyday we have God and his individual love for us... and if one accepts that, that's all they need to be joyful, to sing.
    Thanks for posting that. :) ( from Rosalie)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Rosalie! Thanks so much for your thoughts. They are well put together, and very encouraging! I'm so glad you stopped by my blog!

      Delete
  5. Hi!
    l absolutely love your blog- its beautiful.
    lt would mean a lot if you could check out my blog and maybe we could follow each other? :)

    ~www.1000thingstodoinalifetime.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Kate!

      It's so nice to make your acquaintance. I'm delighted you're enjoying my blog! I did get a chance to take a look at your link, and I love your idea for 1000 things! Nicely done. Thanks for the comment. Come back again, sometime!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...