Thursday, December 12, 2013

Favorite Books - Second Edition

Fasten your seat belts, book lovers! We're taking another plunge!

Something you should know about the relationship books and I have is that I read far more kids books than I do youth and adult novels. I value what's put into my spirit, and with the amount of darkness I see already plaguing this world, I don't need to be adding to that. I don't read murder mysteries, dystopian, thrillers, or futuristic books. Though I am sure there are some written from a truly Christian perspective, I seem to find them few and far between. It's also just not my thing. 

I don't like "Christian" fiction, either. By this, I mean that I try to stay away from Amish fiction romances that are considered "Inspirational" because of the two scripture verses in the front. Guys, if it's not truly going to teach me a Biblical lesson, I don't want to waste my time with it. I also don't want to fill my head with romance. Not because I think romance is necessarily wrong at the right time, but because I've seen a lot of young girls get in big trouble after filling their heads with heavy doses of it. 

As a writer, it's important for me to have good reading material. In order to avoid the explicit content I have found in Christian and non-Christian adult novels, I tend to lean towards the secular (or Christian, if it can be found) kids books. Honestly, a lot of the writing and crafting done in younger aged books turns out twice as good as any of that stuff they put in adult novels. Not only that, it's mostly clean

Guys, even if it "doesn't make me look cool," I'd much rather pick up a kid's book that holds good writing, good craft, and an all around sweet story than be pressured into reading a thriller about murder, evil, and the apocalypse.  

So as a new edition, here is a list of some great "kid's" books.

The Penderwicks by Jeanne Birdsall. Oh, the characterization. Batty's butterfly wings are the best.

Little House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls Wilder. Need I say more?

Detectives in Togas by Henry Winterfield. It's been a while, but I remember loving these. How can you not love a book titled, Detectives in Togas?

The Palomino by Katy Pistol. If you have daughters, you need to pick these up for them. Not only is this a wonderfully written series, it's full of Biblical truths.

Bound for Oregon by Jean Van Leeuwen.

Caddie Woodlawn by Carol Ryrie Brink

In Grandma's Attic by Arleta Richardson. This is fabulously done and also filled to the brim with important lessons and truths.

Nory Ryan's Song by Patricia Reilly Giff. Oh my goodness. Just read it.

The Endless Steppe by Esther Hautzig. I started re-reading this recently. It's good. Really good. Read it.

Alone Yet Not Alone by Tracy M. Leininger. Yes, I know I've mentioned this book before. Twice means twice as important.

Bud, Not Buddy by Christopher Paul Curtis, whose talent I am seriously in awe of.


Do you read kid's books too? What are some of your favorites? How important is content to you, and at what point will you put a book down for your faith?



6 comments:

  1. Wow, great list! I love Little House on the Prairie, The Penderwicks, and In Grandma's Attic. I'll be sure to check out the others. To me, content is important and I will sometimes put down a book that goes against what I believe. That's why most of what I read is written from a Christian perspective :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jillian! Isn't it so hard to put down books? I've had to do it a few times recently with books that were labeled "Inspirational" in my library but really...weren't. Even if they have bad content, I struggle to end a story in the middle.

      Delete
    2. Yes, that has happened to me! I get excited to read a book and then open it up to find it clearly doesn't fit its label…

      I completely agree--it's so hard to end a story in the middle! Actually, a few weeks ago I was reading a book in which I really enjoyed the plot, although I didn't agree with the content and the language. Eventually I just had to give up and put down the book, as much as I hated doing so.

      Delete
    3. Aw, how sad. I have no problem walking away from movies and TV with bad content, but books have me in an iron grip. I'm listening to a book now that I think I'm going to have to put down.

      Delete
  2. I haven't read any of these myself. I wanted to read the Penderwicks at one time, but I never got too. I like children's books. They are easier to read! :) One of my favorite series for children is Passages. They are fantasy books based off of Bible stories.

    I don't really like murder mysteries or Amish books, but I do enjoy a few of the Christian novels. And like you said Stephanie, if it doesn't teach me something I don't really care to read it. What I really really really love are novels that tell of a person's journey with Christ! It's so inspiring and refreshing and causes me to desire an even deeper relationship with God.

    When I start to think about a book way to much, to the point that it distracts me when I'm praying or at church I have to put it down. Which...is...sooooooo... hard! But so very necessary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Penderwicks are fabulous. I can't wait to steal the last one from my sister. :)

      Yes, I really enjoy Christian books that show the Christian walk. Stepping Heavenward is a personal favorite. I know I've mentioned that one probably a dozen times.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...