Saturday, November 16, 2013

Favorite Books.

"Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass."
- Anton Chekhov

Yes, I was the kid who always had her nose in a book. Always. Either that or I was listening to a book on CD thirty times over. No, I'm not exaggerating. I still make this a habit when I'm not writing myself. Someone once said to me, "When we were kids and I came over to play, you always wanted me to listen to a book on CD with you. Like, always. It was really annoying."

Whoops. 

So I have an obsession with words, what can I say? 

Since I usually make my love of books pretty (and sometimes annoyingly) obvious, I often get a lot of people asking me for suggestions on reading material. I usually tell them I'll send a list, but somehow never get around to it. 

Sorry, guys.

So, as compensation, here's my list of absolutely favorite books. I highly encourage you to get your hands on any one of these novels and spend a good amount of time staring in awe at their author's literary brilliance.

Here goes...

Shadow Spinner by Susan Fletcher. I loved this. 

Anything Anne of Green Gables. L.M. Montgomery is my hero.

Hinds Feet on High Places. Hannah Hurnard is also my hero.

Hattie Big Sky by Kirby Larson. If she were a believer, she'd be hero number three. I could spend days talking about how much I learned from her witty and well-crafted sentences.

Roll of Thunder Hear my Cry by Mildred D. Taylor. This is amazing. Read it. Seriously.

Stepping Heavenward by Elizabeth Prentiss. I spent sixteen years unable to pick a favorite book. Then I read this. I'd be overjoyed to one day write something even half as good as this.

To Kill a Mocking Bird by Harper Lee. She's a genius.

Rilla of Ingleside by L.M. Montgomery. Because Rilla isn't technically Anne of Green Gables, (and probably because this book is absolutely amazing and deserves special treatment), this one gets its own special mention on my shelf.

A Parcel of Patterns by Jill Paton Walsh. If you like sad but brilliant fiction, this is it. Fabulous.

The Scarlet Pimpernel by Emmuska Orczy. C'mon, you can't go through life without reading this classic. No, watching the movie doesn't count.

Letters from Rifka by Karen Hesse. I loved this. I really loved this.

Alone Yet Not Alone by Tracy M. Leininger. Yes, I am crazy excited that there's a movie coming out! This book actually inspired one of my childhood novels, When We Reach the Sunset. That's how good it is. Not to mention the Christian message. Oh my goodness.

Belle Prater's Boy by Ruth White. I listened to this at least five times. Recently.

Princess Academy by Shannon Hale. Oh, gosh. I absolutely adore Shannon Hale's novels. I actually had to stop reading her, though, due to some spiritual content in her novel Book of 1,000 Days, which is also fabulous. It would also be up here on my list of favorites, if not for those moments of spiritual content. But Princess Academy is clean, and I highly recommend that you read it. 

Walk Two Moons by Sharon Creech. Oh yes, I went through that Sharon Creech phase. 

The Wanderer by Sharon Creech.

Chasing Redbird by Sharon Creech. See? This book. Anyone who can create a plot out of a girl's journey weeding a path is an absolute genius. I have no words.

The Giver by Lois Lowry. If you want a fictional picture of communism, this is it. The writing is also fantastic.

A Midsummer Night's Dream by William Shakespeare (or somebody else, if you're up on the Shakespeare debate. We won't go there.) I got to read this for school. Actually, I got to read most of these for school, but that's beside the point. It's good. Please read it sometime in your life. Cliff Notes do not count.

Little Women by Louisa May Alcott. So good.

There you have it. Some of my favorite books. This doesn't even reach close to the good books I've read in my lifetime, but I can't think of them all and if I documented each one, you'd spend all of eternity reading about them. At least it would be a well spent eternity.

Would you like to hear more about the books I'm reading? I'm thinking about starting some in depth reviews! Check out the survey I've posted on the sidebar to vote about what you'd like to see more of on my blog. You can also follow me on Goodreads for more updates on the books I'm reading. 


Everyone has a list of favorite novels. So tell me about yours! I'd love to put some of them on my shelf! 

8 comments:

  1. Fantastic List! :) I almost always had my head in a book when I was younger, though admittedly the books that drew me were not in your list of classics. I read a Midsummer Night Dream and Little Women, but not the rest.

    Here's my list of Favorites:

    Legends of the Guardian King by Karen Hancock. She was my literary hero! I loved this series and would read these over and over.

    The Sword by Bryan Litfin. This is a masterful tale of what would happen if earth's history was suddenly wiped out by a catastrophe and the people of the future were reduced to a renaissance age, having never heard of God, then someone finding the Bible. I love it!

    The Song of Lyric series by Sharon Hinck. Sort of like Narnia, picture a mother of 4 falling through a portal into another world... I know the plot sounds corny, but these are excellent reads!

    Rora by James Byron Huggins. Based upon a true story. I have to say, the courage of these people in history, shamed me tremendously. God has had to remind me over and over, fear not. This was one of those times.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just looking back at this post to see if anyone else had given their list and realized what I said might have been offensive.

      When I wrote "I almost always had my head in a book when I was younger, though admittedly the books that drew me were not in your list of classics." I promise I wasn't being ugly or saying classics aren't good. I do like some classics and I loved Little Women. I'm sorry if my words hurt anyone. I should have thought before I wrote.

      Delete
    2. No worries. I knew what you meant. Besides, it's not a sin to prefer modern books over classics. I know a lot of awesome people who do!

      Delete
  2. Awesome! I actually haven't read any of those, but I'm always open to the prospect of new reading material.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I typically read classics so all my favorites are classics! Here are some of the lesser known ones:

    The Robe, by Lloyd C. Douglas. It's the story of a soldier who crucified Jesus.

    The Man Who Was Thursday, by G.K. Chesterton. There's mystery and strangeness in this book. It's really hard to classify.

    The Bridge of San Luis Rey, by Thornton Wilder. It's set in South America and a story about true charity versus passionate love.

    The Lilies of the Field, by William Barrett. This is about faith and trust in God.

    I love The Cosmic Trilogy by C.S. Lewis, and particularly the second book of the series, Perelandra. My very favorite book might be The Lord of the Rings but you've probably already read that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Tara! Thanks so much for stopping by. I'm definitely with you - I adore classics! They're so fun and romantic and always full of amazingly good writing that makes me happy and super envious both at the same time. Ahh, if only I could characterize like L.M. Montgomery, come up with the genius allegory of Hannah Hurnard, or have the talent to craft a town like Harper Lee.
      I've heard a lot of good things about The Robe by Lloyd C. Douglas, and anything by G.K. Chesterton is worth reading, I'm sure. I'll definitely have to take a peek at the other ones you mentioned! As shocking as it may seem for a classic-writing obsessed author, I actually haven't read The Lord of the Rings. My mom didn't want us reading it as kids, and I've never gotten around to picking it up as a teen. Maybe one day, though! Thanks for your comment. Have a blessed day!

      Delete
    2. The Cosmic Trilogy is really good! C.S. Lewis was an amazing writer.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...