Saturday, November 9, 2013

Christ in Writer's Block

Writer's block. 

There are lots of two-word combinations I love. Jesus Christ, hot chocolate, fuzzy socks, open windows, Indian Summer, poetry reading, ice skating, the list goes on....

But then we have writer's block.

Disgusting. Despicable. Degradable. Debunking. Delusional.

Just yuck.

Usually I'm not one to bend to the evil lances and charms of my long-time foe. I sharpen my bayonet, mount my unicorn, bellow my war cry, and tunnel through the challenge without a backward glance. 

But this year....those two evil words seem to be getting the better of me. 

Writer's block.

I'm writing a fantasy novel filled with action, challenge, mystery, and even some romance to put a spin on things. Thus far, I have enjoyed laughing with my characters, following them into battle, unlocking their vast, unknown secrets, and pecking my heart out on the computer keys. 

But I have just reached a bump in the road. I know exactly where I'm going. I know exactly what I need to write.

I just don't want to write it.
It's boring.

I just finished writing a scene that recounts my male character's battle with two evil antagonists. Now, his party has set up camp at the bottom of a mountain and have to wait three days before they find out whether or not he will live or die. 

Three days. 
How do you write that?

I feel tired and footsore, ill, dry, barren, unable to continue with my story. Not because I don't want to finish my story, but because I don't want to write three full days of waiting. I don't want to experience the struggle, I just want to get to the point.  

This situation reminds me a lot of Jesus' disciples. Just like my characters and me, they were given three days of uncertainty when Jesus was buried in the tomb. Three days of testing. Three days of struggle. Why? Because when we don't struggle, we don't learn. When we don't have to work to get something, we don't appreciate it. 

I wonder what those three day felt like for Peter, James, and John. They were tired, I bet. Footsore, ill, dry, barren, unable to continue with life

Just like I feel sometimes. 
Just like you feel sometimes. 

But guess what I know about my story? It gets better. My characters and I will pass through our three days of weariness, dryness, and fear, and we'll walk out into something so much more amazing than we could ever imagine. We'll break through to find a beautiful landscape full of peace, truth, and renewed strength.

But it goes even farther than my characters. If you are a child of God, the Lord Jesus is penning your story, just like He penned the disciples story, and just like He's penning mine. He sees those days when you're tired, footsore, ill, dry, barren, unable to continue. But he also sees the days to come. He sees the renewed strength He has waiting for you. He plans the day you'll open up His word and be drenched with His truth and understanding. Better yet, He sees His glory coming to fill the world soon. He sees the paradise He's planning for you.   

So take up your bayonet, child of faith. Cry out the truth of God. Press onward. Learn to be satisfied in the days of waiting. Learn to live for eternity. Above all, keep writing even when it's tough. 





      

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...