Saturday, March 9, 2013

My Saturday

I had such a pleasant and leisurely Saturday that I decided it was good enough to tell you about! Here are a few of the day's highlights.


I read Paul (or Saul)'s conversion story in the book of Acts this morning.

But Ananias answered, "Lord I have heard from many about this man, how much harm he did to Your saints at Jerusalem; and here he has authority from the chief priest to bind all who call on Your name." But the Lord said to him, "Go, for he is a chosen instrument of Mine, to bear My name before the Gentiles and kings and the sons of Israel; for I will show him how much he must suffer for My name's sake." (Acts 9:13-16)

I love these verses. I've looked at them time and time again and awed at how God chose Paul in such an amazing way. How wonderful would it be to hear God say to you, "I've chosen you since before time to present my name before the Gentiles, kings and sons of Israel." And not only that, but he gets to suffer for the name of Jesus! I still can't get over it.

But today, something else caught my eye. Have you ever noticed how the first few verses of dialogue between Ananias and God have uncanny resemblance to the way we react to our callings today? "God, you can't really mean that. These people are too messed up. They could ruin me! You don't really want me to reach out to them. do you?"

"Yes, I do. I've got it worked out."

If Ananias had neglected the calling God put on his heart, Paul would have never regained his sight! He may never have gone into ministry. The Gospel may have never been preached to we Gentiles! Jesus gives us such a lovely example of calling and obedience. How much more would the name of Jesus be known if we submitted and obeyed like Ananias?



Mum went shopping this afternoon, so I made potatoes and ham for dinner. They were amazing. In fact, they almost tasted like the smoked Virginia Tech turkey legs I used to sell at football games. But we won't even talk about those. They taste good, but chewing on a greasy foot-long turkey leg while watching a football game (without any napkins or utensils!) isn't my idea of a good time.

Natalie made some iced brownies too.



I spent a good deal of my morning editing Reaching Home, my latest novel. I also edited the work of a friend in exchange for a guitar lesson. It was wonderful! I adore editing in general. Novels especially. I also love teaching anything that has to do with writing.


I watched my adorable and extremely hyper brothers while mom was gone shopping.


Daniel spent most of his time playing with our dog, Rascal.


I'm afraid to say, Rascal was hardly thrilled.


 I spent a good deal of time reading some of Bill Peet's autobiography. His illustrations of Dumbo were so CUTE! I really want a pet Dumbo now.... My favorite is the one where he's resting in his mama's trunk.



.....More illustrations. I love his pictures! This man was such a genius. Think of living life without our present view of Captain Hook!

Confession of a teenage homeschooler: I've never seen Snow White. One day it shall happen.



Another adorable elephant. Bill Peet also illustrated many children's story books. We read many of them when Laurie and I were little, which is why we happened upon this book.

That was the extent of my day. It was a lovely one. I'll be looking forward to tomorrow and especially Monday when I get to start on American Literature!! :)

Until then,

Stephanie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...